Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Chipotle Honey-Glazed Chicken Wings

I love chicken wings! But I know how bad they are for you due to the fatty skin. Some of my favorite chicken wings are my mom's. She makes this black bean chicken wing that is delicious. My sister and I would almost have a contest on who could eat more of it. I credit chicken wings for my boobs. LOL When I lived on my own, I went to costco with my family and bought a 1kg of BBQ chicken wings. It took me forever to finish it. The craving for them just wasn;t there anymore, because I didn't have the competition for them (my sister). Rachelle is a vegetarian. So the bag of wings were in the freezer for a few months. Also at one point, chicken wings were on sale at the grocery store and Kev and I bought so many boxes. And we are so sick of them now. I never bothered to make my own chicken wings until these last few weeks.

I found this recipe through Serious Eats. I originally wanted to make the Vietnamese chicken wing recipe they had there, but didn't have most of the things it asked for or didn't have anything that could substitute the missing ingredients. So I settled with the Chipotle Honey-Glazed Chicken Wings recipe. The original recipe is supposed to be adapted from Bobby Flay's Grill It! (don't ask, I don't know who he is. I don't even have the Food network). I didn't have all the ingredients, but substituted with stuff I thought would be okay.



  • 1 cup honey
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons pureed canned chipotle chiles in adobo
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 4 tablespoons ancho chile powder (subbed with regular chili powder)
  • Kosher
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 tablespoons canola oil
  • 2 teaspoons ground coriander
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons Spanish paprika (just used regular paprika)
  • 3 pounds chicken wings
  • 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
  • 3 green onions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
  1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
  2. Whisk together the honey, chipotle puree, 1 tablespoon of the mustard, 1 tablespoon of the ancho powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 2 tablespoons of the oil in a small bowl. Divide the glaze evenly between 2 bowls, one small, the other large.
  3. Stir together the remaining 3 tablespoons of ancho powder with the coriander, cumin, and paprika in a small bowl.
  4. Rinse the chicken wings under cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Cut the tips off the wings and discard (or freeze and use for making chicken stock). Cut each wing into 2 pieces through the joint.
  5. Place the chicken wings in a large bowl, add the spice rub and the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper and place the wings on the baking sheet.
  6. Bake until golden brown and slightly charred, 30 to 35 minutes. Occasionally brush the wings with the small bowl of glaze and turn once during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
  7. Transfer the wings to the large bowl, brush with the reserved glaze, and toss to coat. Transfer to a platter and sprinkle with the sesame seeds and green onions

These were good, but not amazing. I haven't made any chicken wings that have wowed me yet. I find that often, the flavors just don't get into the meat...it's just coated on it.

No comments: