Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Sai Mai Lo

My favorite dessert when we eat in a Chinese restaurant is Sai Mai Lo. But most of the time they serve oranges or fruits or some other kind of soup dessert, like the red bean one. Yuck. I've never made Sai Mai Lo before. I looked up several recipes online...Most of them use the same ingredients, but with different measurements. Here's my version:



1 cup Sagou, tapioca pearls
3/4 cup Evaporated Milk
2/3 sugar
1 can of Coconut Milk
3/4 Water
  1. Boil the Sagou in water until transparent. Rinse and drain.

  2. Boil all other ingredients, add the sagou. Done.

This was quite easy to make, but the water used to boil the sagou turns into a nasty slimey glue consistency, which makes draining it much harder. Other than that, I didn't have any problems. I kept leftovers in the fridge and the next day I had it, it wasn't liquid anymore. It had a pudding texture. You can eat it like that, but I like mine thin, so just mix in some milk or water and heat it up in the microwave.

No comments: