Monday, March 02, 2009

Sweet Potato Poutine

Ahh Poutine! The ultimate comfort food. I've made poutine at home before, but I must admit that it wasn't from scratch. I used cubed mozza, frozen fries, and canned gravy. Sacrilege!!! I know. This is my very first time making everything from scratch...well...except the cheese curds. Those are store bought. lol

I got the idea to make poutine with sweet potato from Kevin at Closet Cooking. I get a lot of cooking ideas from him. He's very talented. For this recipe, I bought 2 huge sweet potatoes and I never knew how much sweet potatoes shrink when they cook... I also had a hard time cutting beautiful sweet potato wedges, so I had weird shapes. Wedges, strings, half moons...it was a circus of sweet potatoes. And sweet potatoes, especially the large variety, are extremely hard to cut. Kev saw how much trouble I was having and asked if i needed help. It didn't take him long to abandon me with the unfinished task.



Baked Sweet Potato Wedges

  • sweet potatoes (cut into wedges lengthwise)
  • olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. Preheat oven at 375F. Toss the sweet potato wedges in the oil, salt and pepper to coat.
  2. Place the wedges on a baking sheet.
  3. Bake until golden brown and tender, about 20-30 minutes.

For the Gravy:

  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 2 cups beef broth
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. Melt the butter in a small sauce pan.
  2. Mix in the flour to make a roux.
  3. Mix in the beef broth and simmer until thick and smooth.
  4. Mix in the soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Assemble: Place the sweet potato wedges in a bowl and top with the cheese curd, add gravy on top to melt cheese a bit.

Kev wasn't a huge fan of this because he's not a big fan of sweet potato. I love it. I kept tasting the gravy while it was simmering and I just kept adding pepper into it. The sauce ended up being spicy, which is a not a bad thing. The simple gravy recipe is also good with roast chicken.

4 comments:

Amy said...

i LOVE sweet potatoes.

Chechelle said...

This is worth its weight in Gold!

hurc said...

pfft. been having sweet potato poutines for months now in Ottawa. :P

djou said...

i don't like sweet potatoes, but i just tried sweet potato fries and i LOVED them.