Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Kimchi Rice

I had less than a cup of leftover rice from the night before and I also went to Korean market a few days ago and bought a tub of kimchi...so I experimented...this is somewhat of a leftover meal. Doesn't look too pretty, but was pretty good. Kev didn't have this. I made him soup noodles with dumplings and stuffed tofu. Kev is not a fan of Kimchi. I love it.


1/2 cup of rice, cooked
1 egg
2 mushrooms, chopped
some kind of meat, chopped/sliced/minced/whatever you like (I used an odd jerk meat my parents gave me)
Kimchi, cut into small pieces
2 tsp Gochujang (Korean red pepper paste or sauce)
  1. If using leftover rice, add a bit of water on medium-high heat to soften the dried leftover rice. Disregard if making fresh rice. Once rice is hot, crack an egg on top and stir. This will look like gruel.

  2. Add mushrooms and meat, mix.
  3. Add cut kimchi and the sauce, mix.
  4. Add Gochujang.

Although I only had 1/2 a cup of rice, it was a pretty big bowl of rice with all the additives. I'd make this again if I have leftover rice. It was yummy. I had a bit of trouble finding the Gochujang because the word "Gochujang" was written so tiny and the packaging is covered in Korea. But It's a good thing I asked the cashier. He showed me whole shelf of different brands. Some came in a square plastic box, others in bottles. I asked what the difference was and he said the boxes were paste and need other ingredients to make it taste better (vinegar, sugar...), but the bottles were sauces and ready-to-eat. I, of course, grabbed the one that needed less work. lol

No comments: