Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Stuffed mushroom

This is probably the very first recipe I ever made. Some 10 years ago, my brother invited some friends over for a BBQ. His friend Amy (now one of my friends) brought stuffed mushrooms. apparently she didn't make enough because my brother only managed to save one for me. I absolutely loved it. I think it's safe to say that it was that recipe that made me fall in love with mushrooms. I asked my brother if she could share her recipe. I didn't quite remember the exact recipe, since I don't have the recipe with me now. But I made it by memory.


Originally I wanted to make this with giant portobello mushrooms, but my grocery store didn't have any in stock. So I bought giant white mushrooms. They weren't cheap. $3.99 for only 8. I could inhale 4 mushrooms in a minute. So I made the left over Potato, Spinach, Salmon Patties I had in the freezer.




Mushrooms
Cream Cheese
Breadcrumbs
Bacon bits
Salt & Pepper
Green Onions, minced

  1. Preheat oven to 400. Wash the mushrooms and dry them with a paper towel.
  2. Remove the stems and put aside.
  3. Place the mushroom caps on a lined baking sheet.
  4. Mince the mushroom stems. I only minced about half of the reserved stems and threw out the rest. You can save them for another recipe, like cream of mushroom soup.
  5. On medium heat, sautee green onions in a little bit of butter. Add minced mushroom stems.
  6. Add about half a package of cream cheese. Stir until melted and creamy.
  7. Add salt and pepper or whatever other spices you like.
  8. Take it off the heat source and mix in enough breadcrumbs until it soaks up most of the moisture and looks pasty.
  9. Fill mushroom caps with the filling.
  10. Dip the top of the filled caps with breadcrumbs
  11. Bake 15 min
I love mushrooms, but I wasn't sure if Kevin would like this recipe. He's not a cheese fan and he doesn't love mushrooms. But he ended up liking this. He told me he liked trying the new stuff I make in the kitchen. :)

2 comments:

Amy said...

OMG - i remember this. i love the recipe! what sucked was how quickly this was consumed for the amount of work (yum yum) - your recipe looks 'authentic' and familiar...

now i might have to make these... i love stuff mushrooms!!! (and the shout-out!) hahahahahahah wish we lived in the same city

Joey said...

Can you imagine how fantastic this would have been if I had found Portebello mushrooms and made a meal pout of this? Mmmmmmm