Saturday, February 07, 2009

Bacon Tofu

I am constantly looking for new recipes to try. I read many food blogs and sometimes I lose track of where I saw a certain recipe if I don't save it in my favorites. I came across an interesting recipe; Bacon wrapped tofu. The balance of a healthy food and major junk food. I won't lie, i love the crispy and salty taste of bacon. I also love the smell of bacon in the morning. When we visit Kev's parents and they make bacon in the morning while everybody is still sleeping...I wake up and go Mmmm...however, I have never bought a pack of bacon and cooked it at home. I could never bring myself to do it until I saw this recipe and it was too interesting to pass up. I think it's safe to say that this will not appear in our meal rotation.


I almost wanted to gag when I opened the package of bacon and had to touch the slimy, oily strips...I even cut off some of the fat. I felt oddly complex about doing that because bacon is essentially just fat and that's what I paid for. And here I am, cutting away perhaps half of what I bought. Cooking it wasn't a lovely ride either...the amount of oil that comes out of it is really nasty. I had to drain my frying pan between each batch...




1 package of bacon, each strip cut in half

1 package of semi-firm tofu cut long and thin

  1. Drain the tofu. Unwrap and cut into bite sized pieces that are about the width of your bacon.
  2. Wrap each piece in bacon, going around at least once so the ends overlap. I cut my bacon strips in half.
  3. Heat up a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Put the bacon wrapped tofu pieces with the overlapping edges side down. Cook until crisp, then turn. Keep cooking and turning until done on all sides.
I served this with white rice and boiled vegetables. This dish was an interesting combination, but it's pretty good. But because of ick issues with cooking bacon, i'd probably not make this again.

No comments: