Thursday, September 11, 2008

Philly Steak Sandwich


The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach…especially if meat is involved. To be quite honest, I’m more of a poultry kind of gal. Chicken, turkey, duck, quail…yummy. But ever since judyfoodie told me how to tenderize my meat with baking soda, I like cooking and eating beef a little more. One of the recipes Kev likes is the Philly Steak sandwich. I’ve never had an authentic Philly steak sandwich, so I’m not quite sure if this recipe I got online is anything close to the real thing. But it sure makes my man happy. The original recipe is here.


  • 1 pound beef sirloin, cut into thin 2 inch strips
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 1 bell pepper, julienned, whatever color you have
  • Swiss cheese, sliced
  • 4 hoagie rolls, split lengthwise or any type of bread
  1. Place the beef in a large bowl. Mix baking soda in the meat to tenderize. Rinse meat with cold water after 20 minutes.

  2. Mix meat with salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, and basil. Let it marinate overnight if you have time.

  3. In a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Saute beef to desired doneness, and remove from pan. Saute the onion and green pepper.

  4. Preheat oven on broiler setting.

  5. Divide the meat between the bottoms of 4 rolls, layer with onion and green pepper, then top with sliced cheese. Place on cookie sheet, and broil until cheese is melted. Cover with tops of rolls, and serve.

I omitted dried thyme and dried marjoram from the original recipe just because I didn’t have any on hand. I know, we need a spice rack. I also omitted the oil. Since we use a non-stick skillet, I didn’t think oil was needed. This time I got a bit lazy and my beef strips were a bit too big. But other than that, it was yummy. The more cheese the better!

I promise i'll eventually start writing blogs that are not food related soon. I just haven't been quite inspired lately.


1 comment:

judyfoodie said...

you now have me craving one a philly cheese steak. yummy :)