Today I noticed one of the mangoes had bruises. Bruises that weren't there when I bought it. So I peeled it and discarded the bruised flesh. I've tasted worse mangoes, but this one was still too sour.
So I decided to look up a way to use up sour mangoes. I thought about making orange jello with mango pieces in it...too kid's party. Maybe coconut jello with mango pieces...I don't have coconut milk at home. Then I found a recipe for Thai mango salad. If I remember correctly, I believe Thai mango salad is made with green mango and not red mangoes, but decided to be a rebel and try it out anyway.
1 mango, peeled and shredded
1/2 red onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced and crushed
1 tbsp of fish sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 red chili pepper, minced (can be subbed with cayenne pepper and/or red pepper flakes)
1/2 or 1 tbsp of lime juice
Cilantro leaves for garnish (optional)
Peanuts crushed for garnish (optional)
- Mix everything in a glass bowl. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve over green lettuce leaves.
As can be seen from my picture, I was missing a lot of ingredients. I had the basics, but I think it could have been better with the cilantro and peanuts. The mango salad was spicy, and I couldn't detect the sourness from before...I'd make this again if I ever encounter another sour mango, but I'd peel a mango early just to be able to make this. I marinated it in the mixture for about a day and half. It was delicious!
1 comment:
Thanks for the mango, but now I'm horny for them! Sigh, the woes of a foodie.
Post a Comment