Kevin and I love duck. I like duck prepared the French way, but Kevin likes all duck...French, Chinese...Kevin and I live in the West Island of Montreal. I grew up more East and Center. We're maybe 30 minutes from Chinatown, where we normally buy roast duck and char siu (Chinese BBQ pork). When we visit my parents or his grandfather, we try to make a trip to Chinatown on the way. But we rarely make that stop. I find this a little annoying, especially when I'm running out of good soy sauce (never buy VH soy sauce, it's not real soy sauce) or when I need Asian products. When I asked him if there was an Asian market in the WI, he said he didn't know. A few months ago, we noticed one, but we didn't know if they sold roast duck. So another few months later, we finally checked it out and they did have it. Kevin is simple. you nuke the roast duck, make some white rice, and he's good. But me...i like to be fancy. And I also want to bring some type of green in all our meals. So I came up with the idea of making duck wraps...kind of like peking duck, but without the heavy wrapping. Instead I use the rice wraps most commmonly used for vietnamese spring rolls. I figured it was just easy to store the leftovers and it was light.

Lettuce leaves
Roast duck, bones removed.
Green onions, sliced into thin strips
Vermicelli noodles, cooked
rice wraps
Hoisin sauce
- Have all the ingredients prepared on the table.
- To assemble: Dip the rice wrap in water and let it soften. Put a lettuce leaf, vermicelli, duck, green onions, and a squeeze of hoisin sauce.
- Fold two opposite sides, top and bottom. The fold the flap on the right to the left side. While rolling towards the left, tuck the ingredients...
This is very easy and fast way to have dinner on the table. Unless you make your own roast duck...but seriously, who has time for that? I'm more of a Rachael Ray than a Martha Stewart. lol Kevin sucks at step 3 and often ends up asking me to roll it for him. If you overstuff, you'll have a hard time rolling them. Bon Appétit!
Sidenote: I've always complained about how peppers are so expensive at the grocery store, but I noticed that Asian markets always have them for cheap. We bought a pack of 2 red and 1 yellow pepper for just $1.49 cdn. Love it!
No comments:
Post a Comment