Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Shrimp Scampi

Shrimps were on sale a few weeks ago, so I found a shrimp scampi recipe. Before this, I always thought of scampi as a species of lobster, but after searching it on wikipedia, I discovered that it is often known as a cooking method in the US. Scampi is often the menu name of a shrimp dish in Italian-American cuisine. It is a dish of shrimp served in garlic butter and dry white wine served with bread and/or pasta. The word "scampi" is often construed as that style of preparation rather than an ingredient, with that preparation being called "shrimp scampi", and with variants such as "chicken scampi".




1 (8 ounce) package angel hair pasta
1/2 cup butter
2 cloves garlic, sliced (more if you like it)
1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/3 cup white wine
3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Parsley flakes for garnish
  1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add angel hair pasta and return pot to boil. Cook until al dente. Drain well.

  2. In a large saucepan, melt butter, saute garlic until tender, remove garlic and discard or keep if you prefer. Add shrimp and cook until colored pink. Stir in white wine. The bread crumbs are used as thickening, so stir in a little at a time until desired thickness is reached.

  3. Serve shrimp over angel hair pasta, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.

Man! This stuff was yummy, but so heavy. I scaled down the recipe to serve only myself, since Kev was at work when I made this for lunch at home. I put in extra garlic with a dash of garlic powder too. I also kept the garlic slices in the dish instead of discarding them. I love garlic. If you don't have dry white wine, some people recommend using chicken broth. I used plain breadcrumbs, but i've read reviews where people used italian seasoned breadcrumbs, but I didn't want to mix flavors.

No comments: