Monday, January 05, 2009

Le Boeuf Gourmand

For our two-year anniversary as a couple, Kev and I wanted to eat out, but didn't know where to go. Our original plan was to eat somewhere in the old port and then rent a horse drawn carriage for a tour. That didn't end up happening, because by then, Montreal had its first snow fall with freezing rain. Since Kevin would be out bowlingwith his co-workers for their x'mas party, he asked me to look for a restaurant near the plateau. So I did. I found this French bistro that looked affordable and had pretty good reviews, but the earlier reviews were horrible. We figured that maybe they changed chefs or something because all the new reviews were great. Their specialty is the Steak-Frites. The Steak-frites is served with either soup or a fresh salad for $18.90. The steak is thinly sliced. The feature that stands out most about Le Boeuf Gourmand's steak frite is the revolutionary top secret sauce they use. They claim it is made with 18 ingredients.


Quickly after ordering, a hot tray was put on our table. I had read reviews, so I knew what it was for. They don't put your entire 8oz of steak on your plate. Only half is on the plate and the other half is on a plate placed on the hot tray, where a candle is supposed to keep the rest of your steak warm (it didn't).



We started the dinner off with the soup. Our choices were the Citrus Carrot soup or their cream of vegetable soup. She highly recommended the Citrus Carrot soup and told us that it was so popular that they had to make it all the time. So we took that...I quickly remembered that I'm not a big fan of citrus in my food. I can do citrus juice, just not in my food. Kevin did not seem to mind it. The steak-frites arrived warm, but not piping hot, which I couldn't quite understand, because we were the only table in the entire restaurant. The secret sauce was good, but is mainly butter. The hot tray failed to keep the rest of our steak from getting cold and the sauce congealed. The fries were okay, not the best i've had. But they were salty and satisfying. We decided to skip the dessert because I had bought some pastries to eat at home, which we didn't.


The bistro was too brightly lit. Kevin said he didn't think it was a very romantic place, and he is right. If they had dimmed the lights, we might have been able to stomach the utter cheesiness of the decor. The entire time we were there, we were the only customers.


It wasn't so bad, i've probably had much worse dinners in my life, however, I might not repeat this place. It was a bit of a disappointment for such an occasion.


Le Boeuf Gourmand/ 3666 St-Denis corner Cherrier/ 514.849.8910

No comments: