Thursday, January 08, 2009

Brown Sugar Shortbread Buttons

This is actually my second attempt at this recipe. I found this recipe in Rachelle's free recipe magazine. On my first attempt, I made the mistake by forgetting to take out the butter from the fridge, so i popped it in the microwave and used liquid butter instead of softened. The cookie dough was an oily mess and i couldn't shape the cookies. They taste good, but presentation was a disaster. This time I took out the butter for about 3 hours.


1 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Corn Starch
Icing sugar for decoration

  1. Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or foil
  2. Beat butter, brown sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add flour and cornstarch. Mix until dough forms.
  3. Roll into 3/4" balls. Place on prepared cookies sheets, flatten slightly.
  4. Bake for 10 minutes. With a wooden skewer or toothpick poke 4 holes in warm cookies to make button holes. Cool and dust with icing sugar.

When baking this with Rachelle, our first batch didn't work out...we forgot to flatten the cookies. So we had ball buttons. They tasted fine, just looked funny. In our following batches, we got it right. Co-workers enjoyed them. My friends liked them too. One of them said it tasted like Sucre a la Crème. I guess it makes sense because it's made with a lot of brown sugar.

No comments: