Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Cinnamon Walnut Pastries

You know, cooking doesn't require that much effort. I don't make it a secret when I shortcut some of my recipes. Real cooks would be ashamed of my kitchen practices. I use frosen vegetables, minute rice... If you look at the pictures i take, they look complicated to make, but in reality, i always pick recipes that are easy. I like cooking, but I get tired from work like everybody else. "Anyone can cook" (quote from Ratatouille)

At my old employment, I had a little baking group thing with a few co-workers. Once a month, we'd bring in baked goods to share with each other. Bakin is something I like doing, but it's even more time consuming than cooking a meal I find. I have great respect for pastry chefs. That weekend, I didn't have time to make something from scratch for our baking meet. So I bought prepared puff pastry.


1 package of frozen butter puff pastry
Cinnamon
White sugar
Walnuts
1 egg white
  1. Defrost puff pastry as indicated on the package.
  2. Preheat oven to 400F. Unfold pastry and brush egg whites all over one side.
  3. Sprinkle white sugar and cinnamon. The more the better!
  4. Sprinkle walnuts.
  5. Start rolling the pastry from one end to the other and brush egg white at the end so it doesn't unroll.
  6. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until browned.

For the bake meet, instead of rolling them I put the second sheet on top of the first one after step 4. Then cut them into little strands and twisted them. So when they baked, they look like twirl sticks.

These look great after they're baked. My dad, who doesn't really eat desserts, liked these a lot.

No comments: