Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Simple Frog Legs

My co-worker/supervisor calls me an "adventurous" eater. Meanwhile, he has a slab of moose meat in his fridge. I'm not much of a game meat person. I remember the first time I had frog legs. It was actually at a buffet, probably a Chinese buffet. lol I have never had frog legs at a French restaurant before, but would love to try it some day. While grocery shopping, I went to grab a pack of frozen mackerel and right next to it was a pack of frozen frog legs. They weren't too expensive, so i decided to buy it. It sat in our freezer for a few weeks before I remembered I had them. So I checked online for a recipe. A lot of recipes require frying...which is something I don't like to do too often. So I found a simple pan fried recipe.





frog's leg(large or small)
milk (as needed)
salt and pepper
flour (as needed)
5-6 tablespoons butter

  1. Soak frog legs in milk for 1 hour, turning every 15 minutes. I believe this removes the "river" taste?
  2. Remove from milk and salt and pepper them lightly, and coat them in flour.
  3. In a skillet bring the butter to a sizzle and add frog legs.
  4. Sauté legs uncovered until they're golden brown on both sides (turning as needed).

These cooked up really fast...if you don't think about what you're eating, it kind of tastes like chicken. This cooking method was easy and actually quite tasty. However, I think I would prefer frog legs as an appetizer rather than a meal. I'd rather have 2 frog legs than 8 of them, one after the other...urp.

1 comment:

Dragon said...

You are definitely adventurous! They look so go, I might even give it a try. :)