Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Pecan Shortbread Cookies

As mentioned in previous posts, Rachelle and I took a baking course at my local Loblaws. We made Hazelnut Chocolate Orange biscotti and the Irish cream filled cookies. Since the class was only two hours and our chef likes to talk and socialize, we didn't have enough time to make the pecan shortbread. She showed us how to make it, but there wasn't enough time for the students to make their own. However, she prepared the dough for us to bring home and I rolled out the cookies during the weekend. A few days before making these, i bought these super cute little cookie cutters from Stokes. I had a mini gingerbread man and a mini star shape. I think I made 200+ bite sized cookies, so of course, I brought them in to work to share with my co-workers. Most fo the time when I bake, I don't have enough to share with the entire office, but with 200+ cookies, I was able to. Everyone loved them and a few have asked me for the recipe. I am now known as the cookie lady at work. Kevin calls me Betty Crocker. lol





  • 3/4 unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp pure almond extract
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups finely chopped peacans (lightly roasted before chopping)
  1. Mix butter and sugar with electric mixer until fluffy
  2. Add vanilla and almond extract
  3. In differetn bowl, mic together the flour, and salt. Add butter mixture.
  4. Add nuts and mix slowly until dough comes together
  5. Divide in 4 sections. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  6. Preheat oven 350 degrees
  7. Roll out one section on a floured surface to about 3/8 inch thickness. Use cookie cutters of your choice.
  8. Place cookies on parchment lined baking sheet and cook approx. 20 minutes or until edges are golden.

Due to the size of my cookies, they only needed to bake for 5-6min. You can serve them as is, or dust some icing sugar on top. I think they would look very cute in a gift box.

2 comments:

Mary said...

very cute cookies joey! you're motivating me to try to find a baking class to take!

Nilmandra said...

Yum, looks very festive :)